If you have questions or comments please send them to rbronkema@gmail.com

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Week Five: Happy Place


Within the entry for week two I referenced the advice in reference to  “managing your freak outs”.  This week I would like to expand upon this a little further and provide some thought that I have found useful to this topic having survived what I would describe as my first minor “freak out”.  

Adjusting to graduate study is a constant process.  Just when you think there is some method to the madness a curve is thrown in the calls for adjustment.  For me this adjustment came this week when I received my first set of feedback.  This feedback was not terrible but it was not outstanding either.  It required me to take a step back and carefully evaluate the strategies that I had incorporated thus far to create a better opportunity for future success.  The exact changes in my strategies may be elaborated at a further date but for now I want to reflect more on what to do within an emotionally sensitive point to get centered and be able to proceed with a level head.

Psychologists call this coping, or “constantly changing cognitive and behavioral efforts to manage specific external and/or internal demands that are appraised as taxing (“Wikipedia”, 2011)”.  The key is finding ways to settle your mind and body in times of high stress.  Each of us have our own ways of doing this, the important thing is to protect time to do so.  

Techniques I have tried that may or may not be worth considering.
  • I run.  (Actually I jog at a slow pace, but I think you get my drift) It “costs” about three to four hours a week of my time, but the “benefits” accrued from doing so are well worth that sacrifice within my schedule.  These benefits are even more critical on days that I am more stressed than usual.  Knowing the benefits of balancing this additional stress makes it all the more important to carve out the time to run even if it is the last thing that it makes sense to do.  This by no means is a plug to start running, it is merely a push to encourage you to make time to do the one or two things that really bring you inner peace and balance when your life may not have that naturally occurring.  
  • Putting myself in a situation that encourages laughing also helps.  Whatever that may entail for you I am not sure, but laughing can be powerful medicine for stress.
  • I also do my best to spend time with people I care about when I can.  That time feels so much better when it is planned for and looked forward to.  Cherish it.
  • If you ask me it is worth a try.  Fight for that “you” time.  I think it will help out in both the short and the long term.


Quote that best represents the week.
  • “There is, only one person in this race and that person is me.” - Goerge Sheehan (Burfoot, 2007, p. 31)
    • This quote reminds me that this journey is my own to figure out. It does not matter how others manage it, my experience will be unique and special from all others. It does not matter how I finish as long as I do. This quote in addition to reminding me that running is my own art, reflects well on this journey as well.


Remember that what lies ahead might be a challenge but it is worth every minute.


Resources:
Burfoot, A. (2007). The runner’s guide to the meaning of life. New York, NY: Skyhorse.


Coping. (n.d). Un Wikipedia. RetrievedSeptember 25, 2011, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coping_(psychology)


No comments:

Post a Comment