If you have questions or comments please send them to rbronkema@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Economics

I hate to admit it, but my college economics professor was right.  Economics is all around us.  To me theories of economics find their relevance in my evaluation of time and effective use of the limited amounts of it within a graduate program.  Prior to enrolling as a full-time doctoral student I used to have a professional life.  A life that allowed me to volunteer for things, serve on committees, and engage in a variety of campus initiatives and community activities.  Throughout my first year it has been an adjustment to feel this change and its impact on my sense of belonging at my graduate assistantship.  At first, there were transitions associated with finding fit in a new place.  This adjustment takes time to network and find resources that are a good fit to appropriate use of professional skills.  In time more opportunities surface that are helpful, and contribute to both my personal professional growth but back to the institution and field.  I cannot lie, it is a good feeling to get back into that swing some.  In time, I like many other students and professionals in the field of student affairs found more areas of interest than there was time in the day.  This led me to think carefully about how to allocate time to best broaden my learning, while being of service to my institution and the greater good of higher education.  This cost benefit analysis has resulted in a model to inform my personal decision making.  


This model includes three options:

  1. Lose, lose.  Taking on more than is manageable, ending up overwhelmed and with sacrificed quality overall.  This is possible, particularly if  the transition away from professional life and the active quest for new valuable experiences.  Being patient for good opportunities and being careful to 
  2. Win, lose. Giving up something good for something better.  This is where I spend most of my time thinking, and I am sure other folks do to.  There are so many great opportunities to serve and learn that time and appropriate effort need to be carefully evaluated before adding or considering anything new.
  3. Win, win. Intentional constructive networking and that contributes positively to an institutional initiative while challenging professional growth and learning.  This is ideal, but in moderation (refer to lose, lose).

While each of us have experience with making difficult decisions like this doctoral programs are different and challenge norms and ways of thinking.  With careful, realistic thought good decisions can be made that do not compromise academic work or sanity during graduate work.  


Remember that what lies ahead might be a challenge but it is worth every minute.

1 comment:

  1. This is so rational. I admire your thinking. I usually went for the "ponder, decide, re-think, overwhelm, nap, panic, rinse, repeat" approach to things my first year. Good that you're learning this so early!

    ReplyDelete